Bhubaneswar: Illegal electric hooking has claimed three animal lives in the Bijayanagar village under Mahakalapada block in Kendrapara district recently.
It has been reported that three buffaloes were killed in the same village after being electrocuted on Wednesday.
According to officials of the concerned department, a resident of the village, identified as Sanjay Dash had taken an electricity connection by illegal hooking and temporary bamboo poles.
“When one Tukuna Das and his brother from the same village had taken their herd of buffaloes for grazing, three buffalos came in touch with the joint of the hooking wire and got electrocuted. Tukuna’s brother was saved by a whisker,” an official said.
“Earlier in the month of May, a 40-year-old man had died after coming in contact with a high-voltage electric fence at Bheda Ramachandrapur village near Banki. In that case, also the electric connection was obtained through illegal hooking,” the official added.
Such incidents keep surfacing time and again as people turn a deaf ear to the advice of electricity distribution companies.
TP Central Odisha Distribution Limited (TPCODL), a joint venture between Tata Power and the Government of Odisha, has been conducting mass awareness campaigns to make consumers understand the critical risk they are undertaking by illegal hooking activities.
“It is not only unethical but also very unsafe and poses a critical threat to users and the public in general. People must stay away from power theft through such illegal hooking activities and obtain electricity service connections through proper application. This being a concern for all, people should report such actions by sending us a message on Whatsapp at 9437158670, or by e-mail to [email protected] or using the TPCODL Mitra app and save precious lives of human beings and animals,” a TPCODL spokesperson said.