Nitish Kumar Proposes 75% Reservation in Govt Jobs & Education in Bihar

Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar proposed a total reservation of 75 per cent in government jobs and educational institutions in Bihar following the report of the caste-based survey tabled in the Bihar Assembly on Tuesday.

Nitish asserted that his government would “bring the required legislation to increase the reservation limit during the ongoing winter session that ends on Friday.

Nitish Kumar chaired a cabinet meeting on Tuesday evening, where the proposal to increase the total reservation to 75 per cent was approved.

At present Bihar has a total reservation of 60 per cent — 50 per cent for the Scheduled Castes (SCs), Scheduled Tribes (STs), Extremely Backward Castes (EBCs) and the Other Backward Castes (OBCs); and an additional 10 per cent quota for the economically weaker sections (EWS) in the general category.

“We need to increase the reservation for SCs, STs, OBCs and EBCs to 65 per cent. We have already accepted 10 per cent reservation for the EWS among the general category. Together, the quota will be 75 per cent, while 25 per cent will remain free,” Nitish said.

The Supreme Court has imposed a limit of 50 per cent on reservation in government jobs and educational institutions through its various judgments since 1990.

You might also like

Comments are closed.