US Woman Loses All 4 Limbs After Eating Contaminated Fish

A woman in the United States lost all four of her limbs because of a severe bacterial infection she developed after consuming contaminated fish.

Laura Barajas (40) of San Jose, California, fell seriously ill after eating undercooked tilapia fish.

According to reports by the New York Post, Barajas became infected with Vibrio vulnificus, a dangerous bacterial strain.

The infection forced doctors to amputate all of Barajas’ limbs in a bid to save her life.

Vibrio vulnificus is a rare but dangerous bacterium. America’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 150-200 cases of infections are reported annually, and approximately one in five people infected do not survive.

One can get infected by it by eating something that’s contaminated with the deadly bacteria. The other way is by having a cut or tattoo exposed to water in which this bug lives.

You might also like

Comments are closed.