Bhubaneswar: Laxman Pradhan, a resident of Kesura village under Badagada police limits in Bhubaneswar passed away on Wednesday due to severe burn injuries sustained during a self-immolation attempt on Tuesday.
The incident unfolded when Laxman, upon returning home on his scooter that morning, abstained from entering the house. Instead, he retrieved a bottle of petrol, doused himself in the fuel, and set himself ablaze.
This distressing event was captured by a roadside CCTV camera and witnessed by a few nearby residents.
Laxman was rushed to Capital Hospital in a critical condition, where he ultimately succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday. The Badagada police, notified of the incident, initiated an investigation both at the scene and the hospital.
However, the motive behind Laxman’s extreme actions remains undetermined at this point. Some neighbours speculate that a family dispute might have driven the youth to take such a painful and tragic course of action.